Author: Sean Liu
Flash does not display correctly in browsers on Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty.
Setup WindwsXP in VMWare on Ubuntun 7.10 Gusty.
The solution looks a bit far from the problem. Before deciding to use VMWare, I tried:
- Firefox 126.96.36.199, install flash-nonefree plugin for firefox
- upgrading Firefox to 188.8.131.52
- use Firefx 3.0
- upgrading my Ubuntu
- Konqueror (I use gnome desktop, so no settings menu item to install flash plugin)
Finally, I decided to install VMWare 1.0.4 Server, and a WindowsXP image. I did by:
- register an account – https://www.vmware.com/account/customerRegistration.do?
- download (free) vmare server (1.0.4) – http://register.vmware.com/content/eula104.html
- get a serial number which needs at last step of installation – http://register.vmware.com/content/registration.html
- install vmware, ref: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-vmware-server-in-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html
You might meet two special situations:
- bridge vmware connection to your wireless connection: you might meet situation as – http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-285846.html in which krnlpanik’ solution is ok. But that post was in 2006, madwifi source code structure changed a lot, I modified on an older version 0.9.3.2. My madwifi works fine now.
- ISO format incompatible: vmware cannot install my Windows XP iso image made by “mkisofs -o disk.sio WINDOWSXP_DIRECTORY”, I did not try to fix this problem. I just install from my cdrom.
Sean is a programmer at IDEA.